There are three main different bonding technologies available: mechanical fixing such as rivets and screws, (wet) glue or adhesive and double sided adhesive tape
. Traditionally, anyone requiring a long term high performance bond has overlooked double sided tape
in favour of some form of mechanical fixing or high performance adhesive; but often this can be misplaced as there are double sided tapes
which can offer a very high strength bond and an instant bond too, which can be a very big aid to productivity.
So, what other advantages are offered by double sided tapes
over these more commonly adopted bonding methods? Let’s take mechanical fixing first and summarise these below:
- No need to drill holes, so one process-step less and no refinishing necessary.
- The stress is evenly distributed across the whole area of the bond, so no weak points are created as is the case with rivets and screws.
- Less likely to be any rattle.
- Invisible bond leading to a smooth, clean appearance as there are no unsightly screw or rivet heads visible.
And now the advantages over wet adhesives and glues:
- Easy and simple to apply.
- No need to wait for the adhesive to cure before moving to the next production step.
- Easy storage as there is no need to take solvents into account.
- Easy and quick to apply – no special considerations required relating to solvents.
- Flexible design options – tape can be supplied in die-cut form in the specific dimensions required speeding up assembly.
- Double sided foam tapes are able to both compensate for different rates of thermal expansion and contraction of different substrates as well as absorb shock and vibration.
tesa double sided tapes
are used in many diverse industries where reliable, long term performance is essential. Examples include the manufacture of mobile phones and other electronic devices where the drive for smaller and more compact versions is ever present; fixing emblems and badges on cars where the tape must withstand severe temperature extremes, and double sided tape is now used in the construction of solar panels.
So are high performance double sided tapes
a viable alternative to screws, rivets, glues and adhesive? The evidence would certainly say they are more than worth considering.
If you have any questions regarding double sided tape
, contact us here
For more information view our double sided tape